Her Take: Beach House- Teen Dream

Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 by Corianne

by Cori

The first time I heard Beach House- 2008's Devotion- it nearly put me to sleep. I couldn’t understand the buzz and excitement about the band, and I hastily stashed them away in the “overrated” section of the filing cabinet in my head. Given that initial experience, I am not entirely sure what prompted me to give their new album, Teen Dream, a spin. The name alone is pretty off-putting, bringing to mind angst and drama and all the things I hated about high school. Maybe that’s just my neuroses showing.

To say that I didn’t expect much from Teen Dream would be an understatement. Happily, this album seems to be the perfect soundtrack for a rainy day with its fluffy, soft ambience and easy melodies. Stand-out tracks on the album include Silver Soul, 10 Mile Stereo, and Lover of Mine. The vocals and music nestle perfectly together for a sound that gives equal weight to both parts, creating a dreamy feeling. While Teen Dream may not have convinced me to put Beach House into regular rotation, hearing something completely different from time to time is really refreshing.

No Response to "Her Take: Beach House- Teen Dream"

Leave A Reply